Monday, July 19, 2010

Community Outreach Booklet

aaaaaahhhhhh......I just got back from vacation....and I am refreshed, recharged and ready to go!

A couple weeks ago I took a Sunday drive to the other side of Marion and I was reminded of one of my 'I will' statements that I made after reading 'Crazy Love' by Francis Chan www.crazylovebook.com :

I will be reminded that others are starving, thirsty, hurting, freezing and dying locally and
globally. AND I will do something about it. I will move to action.

This statement brought about the community outreach booklet. I was visiting Lancaster Community Church www.lancomchurch.org and they passed out to each person there a booklet of community ministry opportunities. At that moment, I knew how to volunteer, donate and find ministries in a town I didn't live in. I wanted to know this information for Marion. I had the heart to give and serve but didn't know how to easily do that or find ministries that I was passionate about.

So.....long, wonderful journey of a story that I will make short and sweet for your reading pleasure.....

The booklet for Marion is done and put together! YAY! It lists ministries, addresses, how to contact them, websites, descriptions of the outreach (my favorite part), and how you can serve thru volunteering or donating. It has just a handful of the outreach opportunities in Marion. The booklet can be found and printed off at www.celebration247.com , click 'What We Do' and then the booklet is under Missions.

So that is one of the many resources to move to action and make a difference in our community. What about globally? Here are two of my favorites:

Living Water International www.water.cc : They drill water wells to help communties in 26 countries acquire desperately needed clean water.

Advent Conspiracy www.adventconspiracy.org : Worship Fully. Spend Less. Give More. Love All.

These two ministries give me Godbumps and make me wanna move to action each time I watch their videos! We are in an amazing technological age. We are able to see what is going on around the world from our computer screens, our tv's, heck even our phones! God gave this to us-let's use it!

Let's open our eyes and move our feet towards what's going on around us locally and globally. Visit the websites, view the videos, go thru the detailed donate lists, print off the booklet. Let's move past just compassion and let's move to action!

What are some outreach opportunities that you are passionate about both locally and globally? Share the websites here. Let's blow up this blog with resources to help others.

Let's be a community that makes a difference.

3 comments:

  1. Here's the direct link to the pdf my dear...

    http://bit.ly/bYcKfU

    I will also post it on my blog and through my network. Thanks so much for listening and obeying. That booklet was a labor of love and hope and I'm so thankful Celebration had a hand in making it happen and that you took ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks matt! i didn't think about that...the direct link.

    ReplyDelete